As a teacher and spiritual director, I hold the space for others to participate in the creation of their own sacred stories. I do this by teaching skills (in listening, in the craft of writing, in giving and receiving feedback), asking questions, offering ethical and relational guidelines, and fostering community. I am particularly interested in how the creative process can become a fruitful spiritual practice. Classes.
As a writing coach, I am committed to supporting authors of literary fiction and nonfiction in the creation of honest, artful, and fully-realized work. I specialize in facilitating writing as a spiritual practice and teaching the craft of writing to those whose passion resides in a profession or avocation, who desire to share stories about their subject.
Because I understand writing to be a process and the creation of a book to be a journey into new ways of seeing a subject, I most often work with authors and their projects over a period of time, offering manuscript critique, conversation about the writing process, and support through revision. For this reason, I limit my work to those with established writing practices.
I tailor my services to meet each writer’s needs. Our work together might include:
- Support in the creative process. I can offer exercises and support for maintaining a lively writing habit. I can provide deadlines for those who thrive on pressure.
- Guidance for developing a project.
- Early drafts: I offer suggestions for deepening manuscripts by asking questions and making observations. I often give exercises that teach writing skills beyond the parameters of a particular piece. I specialize in guiding writers to shape a literary work—in other words, book development.
- Later drafts: I can read your manuscript for thematic integrity, narrative arc, pacing, character and scene development, structure, openings and endings, as well as more cosmetic elements like sentence structure and word choice. I do not edit.
- While I always write marginal comments and a comprehensive letter of feedback, I find it helpful to meet with authors to discuss their draft.
I only take on projects I believe in. If I am unfamiliar with your work, I will request a writing sample and telephone conversation to see if we’re a good fit. I charge $70/hr for one-on-one consultation and $50/hr for reading time. For manuscript reviews, I will ask for a deposit.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Examples of clients’ published work.