As a teacher and spiritual director, I hold the space for others to participate in the creation of their own sacred stories. I do this by teaching skills (in listening, in the craft of writing, in giving and receiving feedback), askingquestions, offering ethical and relational guidelines, and fostering community. I am particularly interested in how the creative process can become a fruitful spiritual practice. Upcoming offerings.
As a writing coach, I am committed to supporting authors of literary fiction and nonfiction in the creation of honest, artful, and fully-realized work. I specialize in framing writing as a spiritual practice and teaching the craft of writing to those whose passion resides in a profession or avocation, who desire to share stories about their subject.
Because I understand writing to be a process and the creation of a book to be a journey into new ways of seeing a subject, I most often work with authors and their projects over a period of time, offering manuscript critique, conversation about the writing process, and support through revision. For this reason, I limit my work to those with established writing practices.
I tailor my services to meet each writer’s needs. Our work together might include:
- Support in the creative process. I offer exercises, accountability, and encouragement to help writers maintain a lively writing habit.
- Guidance for developing a project.
- Early drafts: I offer suggestions for deepening manuscripts by asking questions and making observations. I often give exercises that teach writing skills beyond the parameters of a particular piece.
- Later drafts: I can read your manuscript for thematic integrity, narrative arc, pacing, character and scene development, structure, openings and endings, as well as more cosmetic elements like sentence structure and word choice, with the intention of creating effective literary work. I do not edit.
- While I always write marginal comments and a comprehensive letter of feedback, I find it helpful to meet with authors (in person, over the phone, or online) to discuss the development of their draft.
I only take on projects I believe in. If I am unfamiliar with your work, I will request a writing sample and letter to see if we’re a good fit. As of 2020, I charge $90/hr for one-on-one consultation and $70/hr for reading time. I also have a sliding fee scale for those able to pay more or needing to pay less. For manuscript reviews, I will ask for a deposit.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Examples of clients’ published work.